Author Topic: End of the Road Farm  (Read 1683 times)

sKePTiKal

Re: End of the Road Farm
« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2018, 02:51:56 PM »
Looks like it's still too cool for the next week, to start setting out my herbs. At least, night time temps are 10 degrees below normal. Most of May is looking chilly at nights too, but at least I won't be running a/c... not even in June, the way it looks right now.

I've got some ordering to do... I want a new watering can. Plastic ones will just blow away in this wind - which appears to be a constant in our weather for the foreseeable future.

I've been cleaning up the downstairs front porch bed. Leaves tend to collect up to a foot deep there, and I leave them, all winter long. Rhododendrons, lots of vinca, a couple roses and yellow daisies in there right now. I'll be planting spearmint in that bed, since mints are supposed to discourage stinkbugs. I need to take a rest... but then I really should get up and keep going. SOOOO much to get caught up on and now I can "see" how I want things. It's going to take time; can't happen overnight. But I want what I want - LOL.

I don't see myself building fence. But the auger is going to help tremendously planting trees and shrubs. I'll be filling the holes with topsoil and compost by hand, most likely. But the digging is what would convince me to move to a condo at the beach again. LOL.

I just NEED to be outside to start building up some strength again. It's unreal what a toll even this simple, light work is taking on me. I don't like it one bit and the only way to fix that - is work, rest, and work again.
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.

lighter

« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2018, 10:33:26 AM »
You sound exhilarated, Amber.

I wish I had some of that this morning. 

Lighter

sKePTiKal

« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2018, 06:09:09 PM »
Yes, doing my happy dance Lighter!

There is a good kind of tired, and that's what I am. Pleasant temps; no wind to contend with. Perfect for working into building the strength/stamina for the bigger projects to come. My seeds came today. My parking area kitchen beds are started; the idea is going to work!

I have wild violets/violas coming up through the moss in the yard - moss covers probably 75% of the yard - you'd love it -because there's no topsoil to speak of. Time to see if I can get the truckloads delivered! The bobcat will be here Tuesday and I think one scoop of dirt might be perfect for most of the new beds.

Big surprise - when I finally opened the deck box - I found the missing top piece to my rolling greenhouse and the tool rack I'd been looking for since I moved in. I've clean up alot of the junk on that downstairs front porch too. And chased away the bird who keep trying to nest under my upstair front porch. Multiple times - LOL.

This is what I wanted to do with myself when I bought this place. There are still big jobs on the list - but I wanted to spend my time doing this kind of stuff. And the weather looks to be PERFECT for the next few weeks to indulge myself. Only thing I didn't do, that I wanted to was test start the mowers. It's getting to be "time" - especially in the garden field. It's all green and lush. Pretty sure that's the best batch of topsoil I've got. I can't wait for the redbuds to start blooming - they are out along the highway - but my micro-climate is just a bit cooler here.

Twoapenny

« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2018, 03:38:02 AM »
I get tired just reading through your thread, Skep, you are so busy, even when you're not busy!  Lol :)  I always think I've only missed a couple of posts and then I start reading and loads has been going on.  I'm glad you're at a point when you can get on with doing the bits you like, though.  I enjoy the finishing off part of a project much more than the preparation and the slog of getting all the work done :)

sKePTiKal

« Reply #109 on: April 22, 2018, 10:10:32 AM »
Preparation can be tedious Tupp; I usually forget something in the process. But it's also kinda zen, if you allow yourself the space/time to get into it. And the "doing"... is the quick way into "the zone" for me. I need to find things to do, that put me in the zone MORE - lot's more. It's a great place to be for me for some reason.

And I think being in the zone, is what generates that "pleasantly tired", and a little stiff, but not sore the next day feeling... so that you feel like you want to DO MORE - from the zone again. Knowing this "place" it's really hard for me to take "exercise" seriously. I've never gotten this feeling from exercise - maybe I don't have improvements around me to look at.

I'll for sure stretch this morning. And I'm not going back to the work I've done for 2 days - doing something different today. Then I'll get back to moving those blocks in place.

Twoapenny

« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2018, 10:48:56 AM »
Preparation can be tedious Tupp; I usually forget something in the process. But it's also kinda zen, if you allow yourself the space/time to get into it. And the "doing"... is the quick way into "the zone" for me. I need to find things to do, that put me in the zone MORE - lot's more. It's a great place to be for me for some reason.

And I think being in the zone, is what generates that "pleasantly tired", and a little stiff, but not sore the next day feeling... so that you feel like you want to DO MORE - from the zone again. Knowing this "place" it's really hard for me to take "exercise" seriously. I've never gotten this feeling from exercise - maybe I don't have improvements around me to look at.

I'll for sure stretch this morning. And I'm not going back to the work I've done for 2 days - doing something different today. Then I'll get back to moving those blocks in place.

I think the thing I dislike about prep is that you do such a lot of work but it doesn't look like much?  Because the nature of prep is usually that the finished project looks good or works well or wasn't a nightmare to implement - it's the sort of 'avoiding future problems' stage of it.  So when decorating and decluttering for example, I might spend two days clearing out cupboards and washing and sanding walls and it doesn't look any different :)  It just means the end result is nicer than it would be if I hadn't done it all.  It's always worth it, it just feels like a slog at the time.  I'm glad you've got something different to do today and I hope the weather is clearing up a little :) xx