Author Topic: Anything  (Read 221079 times)

Hopalong

Re: Anything
« Reply #1455 on: February 05, 2013, 11:47:45 AM »
Absolutely, PR!
You have LEGIONS of company in the comfort eating thing...and even with the crunchy salties!
(Just as an aside, a friend showed me the COOLEST thing:
Kale Chips
Wash and pat dry a bunch of fresh kale
Cut out the tough stems
Tear the rest into chip-sized pieces
Spray a cookie sheet w/olive oil or other cooking spray
Lay out the kale pieces
Sprinkle a TINY (repeat tiny--kale is naturally salty) bit of salt
Add a dusting of Parmesan or whatever flavored herbs you like
Bake about 25 min. in a 250 degree oven, until crisp like a potato chip.

Apart from the baking/dehydrating time, whole thing takes
about 5 minutes of prep.

They are simply kale chips. Instead of potato chips.
With fresh kale, the flavor is terrific and they CRUNCH!

Back on point -- what fascinated me about the article was his
explanation about the TINY HABITS steps. Literally something
like, setting out a bag of kale chips. That's all. Not even substituting
them yet. Those really small small steps BEFORE one tries to "replace"
a negative habit. Fascinating. For me for some reason, I am a total
believer that this would work.

If anybody really tries it, sustained...let me know how it went!

xo
Hops
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

sKePTiKal

« Reply #1456 on: February 06, 2013, 06:21:51 AM »
Hmmm.

I've been thinkin' some more about this. And working through it in real life with hubs (not always well - but he's pretty tolerant and I'm a lot more communicative than I used to be).

Control is a big theme in these little (not always helpful) habits for me. All the way down below the layers of rationalization, justification, excuses - even the cravings and obsession for it - it all comes to "I can do it if I want to". Calories and ever widening tummy be damned.

But: because another part of me would like to feel comfortable (and as attractive as I could be for my age) in a bathing suit in a couple of months... because I'd like my back and sciatica and ankle to shape up and stop hurting... I also want to stop with the empty calories. The teenaged "you can't tell me what to do" doesn't take into consideration that the body is mid-50s you know?

? Explain this: I have this total blank space about food... emotionally... the question of "what do you want to eat" is almost always answered: I don't care. Surveying my body... brain... and taste buds... all I know is I'd like to eat and what it is doesn't matter. Sound familiar? She don't care - I don't matter...

And for the longest time, my metabolism was such that I could take pleasure in eating that whole bag of chips right in front of her... and never gaining an ounce. The other piece of this... is the fact that deciding what to cook, doing the cooking, and then cleaning up... somehow is always MY responsibility... when all I want is for someone else to do that FOR ME.

Yep; old Twigs was the one responsible for having dinner on the table when Nm got home from work and Bro got back from after-school football practice... Food was used to punish Twigs, as well - for just about any infraction. Many was the night I was forced to sit in front of a cold plate of food I didn't like (Nmom is a bad, boring cook) when I simply had no appetite (from anxiety) at all.

LOL... I was a LOT thinner when I was an anxious basket case -- does this mean that me wasn't "normal" and being this weight is normal???? 

I'm going to pick at and observe the control thing for awhile. Makes sense that this what's at work... just have to find the tripwire that sets it all in motion...

Success is never final, failure is never fatal.

Twoapenny

« Reply #1457 on: February 14, 2013, 04:40:19 AM »
Hmmm.

I've been thinkin' some more about this. And working through it in real life with hubs (not always well - but he's pretty tolerant and I'm a lot more communicative than I used to be).

Control is a big theme in these little (not always helpful) habits for me. All the way down below the layers of rationalization, justification, excuses - even the cravings and obsession for it - it all comes to "I can do it if I want to". Calories and ever widening tummy be damned.

But: because another part of me would like to feel comfortable (and as attractive as I could be for my age) in a bathing suit in a couple of months... because I'd like my back and sciatica and ankle to shape up and stop hurting... I also want to stop with the empty calories. The teenaged "you can't tell me what to do" doesn't take into consideration that the body is mid-50s you know?

? Explain this: I have this total blank space about food... emotionally... the question of "what do you want to eat" is almost always answered: I don't care. Surveying my body... brain... and taste buds... all I know is I'd like to eat and what it is doesn't matter. Sound familiar? She don't care - I don't matter...

And for the longest time, my metabolism was such that I could take pleasure in eating that whole bag of chips right in front of her... and never gaining an ounce. The other piece of this... is the fact that deciding what to cook, doing the cooking, and then cleaning up... somehow is always MY responsibility... when all I want is for someone else to do that FOR ME.

Yep; old Twigs was the one responsible for having dinner on the table when Nm got home from work and Bro got back from after-school football practice... Food was used to punish Twigs, as well - for just about any infraction. Many was the night I was forced to sit in front of a cold plate of food I didn't like (Nmom is a bad, boring cook) when I simply had no appetite (from anxiety) at all.

LOL... I was a LOT thinner when I was an anxious basket case -- does this mean that me wasn't "normal" and being this weight is normal???? 

I'm going to pick at and observe the control thing for awhile. Makes sense that this what's at work... just have to find the tripwire that sets it all in motion...

Hi Phoenix,

I had similar in the sense that I didn't know what my favourite foods were.  We were raised on ready meals and reheated stuff.  The only thing I could cook when I left home was pasta.  My mum's attitude to feeding kids is that there's no point wasting proper food on them, just give them something out of a tin or ready made.  Bless her :)

I read a book a couple of years ago about taking back your own identity and that sort of thing and it asked lots of questions about what your favourite things are - what you like to eat, where you like to holiday, how you decorate your house and so on.  And, of course, I could answer all of these for my mum but not for myself.

Where food was concerned, I just started getting recipe books out of the library and having a go.  Some things were disgusting and I've never tried them again, but I've suprised myself over the years at how much I like cooking and baking and how much better I am now at food and eating what I like.

I discovered I like food that makes me feel healthier, and for me that's lots of veg (I never ate veg as a child), very lean meat and things you can eat out of a bowl, curled up on the sofa.  I love things I can do in the slow cooker and I like filling up the freezer with stuff I've made myself and just having to heat things through on busy nights when there's no time to cook.  I don't like spicy or very fatty food, I do love the Mediteranean way of eating and meals where there are lots of little things to pick at.  I'm not keen on eating out because I feel like I can make better food at home, although I do like the odd meal in a cafe from time to time.

I've tried to change the way I see food from being a chore or something unimportant to being a way of fueling my body and keeping myself healthy.  For me I suppose it was the opposite of you, my mum cooked but it was like an after thought because we didn't matter.  Whereas you had to look after everybody else.  Does your hubby like to cook? xx

sKePTiKal

« Reply #1458 on: February 15, 2013, 05:56:36 AM »
Well, Penny... I think we all could stand a list of questions like that. And check it every so often - because I think over the course of time our answers naturally change. Growing up in the middle of a land mass, I never ate much fish (and my last conversation with my mom - another reason was: she hates fish). Since moving to the coast, I eat a lot more crab and oysters... and deep sea fish. Today, I'm hoping we eat lunch at our favorite beach drive-in... it'll be deep-fried dolphin (mahi-mahi) and french fries... fish & chips to you. His breading is super-light and he's always generous with the number of pieces of fish. The opening of this little dive, is a spring ritual. The food is always superb.

The one "cuisine" that I got familiar with cooking was mediterranean: stuffed grape leaves, lamb, couscous, olives... and light, airy, crusty homemade bread. (Fewer carbs and more protein than store-bought). I love spinach, feta, hummus and olives and cumin and saffron... (not together!)... but hubs just wrinkles his nose and asks: what IS that?!  ...  and naturally, I try to cook things he likes to eat and don't attempt to force my tastes on him. I've tried a few things... and except for the lamb (roasted with all those spices)... he just hasn't liked anything. And where we used to live, there was an annual festival at the Greek Orthodox church - after getting hubs there against his better judgement... he became an enthusiastic fan, especially of the pastries. I get most motivated to bake things; haven't made baklava in a couple of years and I think I have fresh walnuts... or biscotti...  

and I WISH I could master chinese cooking. We had the best restaurants in our old town and our tai chi group even had family style New Year's buffets with dishes not on the menu... but there are only a few places here on the beach: a thai restaurant that we haven't tried yet... and a couple of carryout places (that are heavy on the sweet & sour sauce... I'm a szechuan lover).

It's 6 am here... and I'm making myself hungry! LOL. But, that's probably a clue. I just spent time thinking about food and some of my favorite things to eat. Most days... I'm thinking about lots of other things (and not in any organized fashion, I might add).

Edit: As in... as I think, so I am...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 05:59:20 AM by PhoenixRising »
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.

debkor

« Reply #1459 on: March 16, 2013, 12:37:55 AM »
My D's wedding is in June.  So the *hunt for the mother of the bride dress* was on.  Every bridal shop I went to either had (dress that my grandmother would wear) or (I'm on my way to the Prom).  The other ones would be perfect IF I was going to also have a reality show like The Housewives of Orange County*...geesh!

I think I should have been born in a different era also cause I love vintage look (1920 evening wear)....I did look at excellent condition original with a range price between 1,700 and 17,000.  So NO!

I found a dress (bronze color) which was very pretty and could possibly resemble (with some help) a 20's dress.  I bought it, I altered the length, and then ....I'm giving it away.....

My sister had called me...Go look at this dress.   It was a red to the ankle dress(my favorite color) with long wider tiers all the way down, a U shaped neck, wider shoulder straps.....and shoes by same designer (red, open toe pump, with flat feathers across the front of the shoe....Oh!

So I order them both.  It comes in.  Shoes are awesome...dress is awesome (but) I need to work it. 

I pull up a pic of an original 1920 same style only shorter (below the knee).  Out I go with picture, dress , shoes.  I head to a (silk flower shop).  I know the woman there and she does some awesome designing with flowers.

A flower (deeper dulled red that fades into a dull yellow gold in the middle that fades into a black at the tip of the flower) going on the right shoulder.  Same flower going on the left side (hip area).  A red wire that they use for (whatever they use it for) is now getting small feathers that will lay flat (a head band) in my hair (not across my forehead) or sticking up like I'm a flapper..  Now the mother of the bride bouquet won't be with a wrist band.  She is making it and putting it right into my bracelet so it will be part of my jewelry and vintage looking... Across the street to the material store. A sheer with little bits of dull gold specs in it (you can hardly see but makes it shimmer a bit) red material (same color of dress) There's my scarf (that will be slim) attached on the back of the dress one side, to my ankle length, and can be pulled to lay over the inside of my arm...

And all done...It looks like beautiful 1920 Chanel evening wear.

The kicker!!

The first dress I bought was 400$ Just for that.

The dress, the shoes, the add on's....just about 180$  And I love it!!

Twoapenny

« Reply #1460 on: March 16, 2013, 03:40:56 AM »
Sounds absolutely stunning, Deb!  I hope you have a great time wearing out and a great day out.  Ouch to the cost of the other one, though - any chance you could sell it rather than giving it away?  Or give it to charity so it's like a donation rather than a mistake?  Whatever the situation your mother of the bride outfit sounds amazing and I hope you get to wear it more than once! xx

Hopalong

« Reply #1461 on: March 16, 2013, 11:53:58 AM »
Deb--
I am so totally unsurprised that you are a design

GENIUS!

You are going to look gorgeous and bring joy to everybody.
And already have, what a treat to read that detailed, sensuous story.

Hats off!
xo
Hops
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 11:56:41 AM by Hopalong »
"That'll do, pig, that'll do."

debkor

« Reply #1462 on: March 19, 2013, 10:49:01 AM »
Thanks Two and Hops,

I can remove the add on's from the dress after the wedding and wear it again even with a nice pair of flip flops or sandals in the summer. The other dress I'm not going to sell.  I'd rather give it to the places that you can buy affordable prom dresses.  Really I'd rather just give it away (no cost).  So many good things and good people have stepped into my life in the past and still in present....just because ..and I am playing it forward.   

Love
Deb

debkor

« Reply #1463 on: March 19, 2013, 11:06:22 AM »
www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCXpxxKGzzc

My S's High School.  Hope you enjoy it.  I sure did.  Makes me smile.

Twoapenny

« Reply #1464 on: March 19, 2013, 04:29:49 PM »
Thanks Two and Hops,

I can remove the add on's from the dress after the wedding and wear it again even with a nice pair of flip flops or sandals in the summer. The other dress I'm not going to sell.  I'd rather give it to the places that you can buy affordable prom dresses.  Really I'd rather just give it away (no cost).  So many good things and good people have stepped into my life in the past and still in present....just because ..and I am playing it forward.   

Love
Deb

That's a really lovely sentiment Deb, good for you :) xx

debkor

« Reply #1465 on: April 06, 2013, 12:19:31 PM »
I went into New York the other day with my D and her friends.  I had ordered tickets for the Jimmy Fallon Show for her.  They sent them in my name and I didn't know that I would have to be there.  At first I wanted them just for her and friends.  They told me without me there and ID that no one would be allowed in (the party of people).

So off I went with them and had the best time.  So much laughter and memories.  I haven't been there in so long.  I noticed that most people weren't even aware there were other people on the street.  They were hustle and bustle down the street.  They didn't even notice the pigeon (on very crowded street) or the (pigeon) notice the people.  I was sure he/she was going to be trampled on. 

There was Minnie and Mickey, Batman, Empire State Building, including Spider man (people dressed in costumes).  I was standing at the corner with spider man.  I said, Hi Spidey, How's super hero going for you today. 

And he went into Super Hero Spider man Role.  He jumped into the street, stopped a cab coming around the corner, was down with one leg out, and doing some hiss noise (like webs were coming out from his fingers) so people could cross the street.  Only in New York but Fun, Fun, Fun!!

I cheered for him.  The next thing I knew Spider Man had his arm around teaching me to do the Spider Man hand moves with my  hands.  The girls were like ...Oh no she is not doing this. 

And then their camera phones all went off. 

I looked crazy.  So much fun!

When we got to NBC on line they pulled my D and friend off line.  I was wondering what they were doing?  They only had time to tell me they were sitting behind the band.  Good for them.

I went in with D's other friend where they placed us in good seats half way up.  I didn't see seats behind the house band.  I asked one of the worker's there ..Where do they sit behind the band?  She said, No they are sitting in the last 3 rows because they are going up on stage and dance with the band that is the guest!!

They warm you up with a comedian that comes into the audience, house band, and DJ.  What a party and fun time!  I had all to do to keep my mouth shut.
There was a wedding party there (girls) and the comedian got hold of them.  So funny!  They had them do a dance off with other guest. 

I was there with (my D's ) wedding party girls and I wanted so bad to tell the comedian.  I knew she was sweating bullets that I would. 

Then I thought of the Spider Man picture and pay back of me (all over face book).  So I shut up.

One of the guest that the girls liked (the one picked to dance with band) liked and was very excited to see.  When they were announcing the guest they hit the light's on the stairs where I was sitting.  I looked behind me thinking he was going to come in from the top and run down the stairs to the stage.  Then I seen smoke coming out of the floor next to me.  A trap door.  Up he came in a mist.

And fun again.  I teased her about being 2ft away.  She teased me about dancing with the band.

Then it aired and there was my kid and friend dancing away behind the band.....

But I had the best damn arms you ever see *clapping*...lol

I'm so glad I had to go!!  I would have missed this very special day with my D and her friends.

Some times things just happen for a reason...I think I laughed for 12 hours.

Deb

Garbanzo

Re: Anything-USA government shut down
« Reply #1466 on: October 01, 2013, 02:34:39 PM »
Since I don't have a TV I only get youtube clips:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMpHmy26M4Q

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/10/01/congress-gets-paid-during-a-shutdown-while-staffers-dont-heres-why/

wow...all national state parks closed and those communities being  "out of luck"....LOL   okay so where are the torches and crowds and protests LOL

I say we just get rid of the congress and senate they are just wasting money and time

all of those college kids that can't get jobs should volunteer to fill these national park positions if people won't do it for free....cause these college kids have wealthy parents any how and are somehow getting by without paychecks

and old retired university professors and other people can run the government on a volunteer basis (I think some people would be thrilled at this)

ugh.... are we heading to another economic dive???
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 05:28:47 PM by Green Bean »

Garbanzo

« Reply #1467 on: October 17, 2013, 12:12:51 AM »
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 12:28:56 AM by Green Bean »

Garbanzo

« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 12:07:56 AM by Green Bean »

Izzy_*now*

• Beer is living proof that God loves us
« Reply #1469 on: October 23, 2013, 11:34:50 PM »
Isolated but Not Lonely
•They are people who enjoy their own company. They tend to be quiet or reserved.
•Either they have satisfying relationships with friends or neighbors, or they have always stayed to themselves
•In this sample, they were all people who did not have children
•They have self-sufficient personalities
•They spent the previous Christmas alone by choice

Does my computer count as a child, or companion?  Ha Ha
"The joy of love lasts such a short time, but the pain of love lasts one's whole life"