Author Topic: Beware the scorned NM  (Read 406 times)

lighter

Re: Beware the scorned NM
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2018, 09:40:35 AM »
Ales2:

I think you're right about your mom. She'll never hear or understand you.  Not her fault.  If she could, she would have.  She's broken.  She's doing her best, and it is what it is. 

I'm glad you're moving on, and focusing on yourself.  Seek joy.  Don't worry what your mother thinks.  This is your life.  Not hers.

Lighter

Ales2

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2018, 06:40:23 PM »
Ok, so remember when I said this:

"I need a really fast red convertible Jaguar, an Savvanah cat named Shera, a Calvin Klein wardrobe, lots of gold and diamond jewelry, extensive international travel, a solid producing job, a supportive husband and an overflowing bank account....that would help!"

Well, as it turns out, about two weeks later, I took in a foster cat on a whim from an FB post. That Foster Cat has been with me for 4 weeks now and just this weekend, I learned she is a Bengal-mix. LOL. She is quite exotic, beautiful marbled pattern, big green eyes, sleek coat (referred to as a pelt, not fur), exotic sounding meow and surprise.... wildcat aggression and hyper-energetic. She is lovely, but a handful I was not quite ready for.

Anyway, point is, careful what you wish for! LOL! Not a savannah cat, but a Bengal Mix!  Ha!

Ales2

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2018, 06:43:14 PM »
I think you're right about your mom. She'll never hear or understand you.  Not her fault.  If she could, she would have.  She's broken.  She's doing her best, and it is what it is.

I'm glad you're moving on, and focusing on yourself.  Seek joy.  Don't worry what your mother thinks.  This is your life.  Not hers.

Yep, yep and more yep.

I came to the conclusion, I'm 50, if I can't get along with her by now... it was simply not meant to be.

sKePTiKal

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2018, 08:26:44 AM »
Late to the conversation and have some issues typing at the moment.

My D works in special effects. She is between productions and ending a longterm relationship. She's adequately explained the nature of the entertainment business. What I hear from your description is the belief on your mom's part that you should have a consistent, weekly paycheck to be "secure". And the T is likely supporting that idea as temporary income between the work you want to do.

My D is considering that as one possibilty among many - including trying to get hired onto another crew in another part of the country - until that job ends and she can possibilty pick up work again in the city she calls home. Its what she calls "the nature of this business". Many welders face the same condition in the permanence of their positions. So its not just hollywood. Businesses close and people find themselves having to scramble. The old days of working 30 years for the same employer are mostly gone.

So I understand your struggle to hang onto what you REALLY want to do, and are good at, and how iffy it can be to someone who has a whole different definition of what a job or career is. May the fates blow good fortune your way!
Success is never final, failure is never fatal.

Ales2

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2018, 12:35:30 PM »
sKePTiKal -

Thank you so much for your post. You are correct in your assumption about the nature of the entertainment business and my mothers perception.

I appreciate the good wishes and send them back to you and your D. Not alot of women in SFX, so double kudos to her!